1956 Dodge Coronet Coupe
The Coronet was a full-size car from Dodge in the 1950s, initially the division’s highest trim line but, starting in 1955, the lowest trim line.
The 1955 Coronet dropped to the lower end of the Dodge vehicle lineup, with the Wayfarer and Meadowbrook names no longer used and the Dodge Custom Royal added above the Dodge Royal, Dodge Lancer, Dodge La Femme . Bodies were restyled with help from newly hired Virgil Exner to be lower, wider, and longer than the lumpy prewar style, which in turn generated a healthy boost in sales over 1954. Power came from either a 230 cu in (3.8 L) Chrysler Flathead engine straight-6, now producing 123 hp (92 kW) Two v8 were offered 270 cu in (4.4 L) Polyspheric (poly or semi-hemi) heads V8 175 hp (130 kW) and Hemi engine 315 cu in (5.2 L) (the “Hemi”) Power windows were new. Wheelbase was 120 inches. They were 212.1 inches long. A number of trim lines were available:
- 2- or 4-door station wagon — The Coronet wagon used the Suburban name and had the V8 or Six.
- hardtop coupé — The V8 Coronet Lancer
- 2- or 4-door sedan — V8 or Six
- 2-door sedan — V8 or Six
- 4-door, eight-passenger limousine
1956 was the last year of this body style before the change in 1957, the only differences offered in 1956 from ’55 were trim packages and the new Dodge D-500. The D-500 was the first Dodge factory high performance made in honor of the (D-500-1) “Super Stock” model with the only external clues being discreet crossed checkered flags and “500” lettering on its hood and lower rear deck it was also available for order from the dealer on Coronet models, including station wagons and two-door sedans. The standard D-500 trim included a 315 cid V8 with hemispherical heads (unlike other Dodge V8s which used Polyspheric heads), a unique camshaft, valve lifters, pushrods, carburetor, ignition, and pistons. With a compression ratio of 9.25:1, four-barrel Carter WCFB carburetor, and dual-point distribution, peak horsepower was 260 bhp (190 kW) while torque was a solid 330 lb·ft (450 N·m). The D-500 also received an upgraded suspension with very stiff front coil springs; heavy duty Oriflow shock absorbers, with the same valving specified for Dodge police cars, were mounted in the springs. Similar units were used in the rear. Overall height of the D-500 was 1.5 inches (38 mm) lower than its standard Dodge counterpart. The D-500 came standard with 15×5.5 inch wheels with 7.60×15 inch tubeless tires. New for safety were safety door locks. The D-500-1 (the first 500 made required by NASCAR, was intended for NASCAR competition. The D-500-1 had an even stiffer suspension than the D-500. Under the hood, the engine received larger valves (about 18% larger), a full-race camshaft, and a double log intake manifold that used two four-barrel Carter WCFB carburetors and a shaved deck for 8.25:1 compression. This all added up to 285 bhp (213 kW). It was the fastest car that year from the factory. – Source: Wikipedia